(Community Social Services)Work Site: Overdose Emergency Response - Downtown Eastside (DTES)Status: Regular Full TimeStart Date: As soon as possibleSalary:
$24.38 - $26.42 per hourHours: 09:00-17:00 with Saturday, Sunday and statutory holidays offReference#: 114574-cye
About Overdose Outreach Team:
Our team of outreach and social workers and peers provide connections for people who have recently experienced opioid overdose and/or are at high risk for opioid overdose to substance use care and support.
We help clients:
- Navigation to appropriate services (e.g., primary care, detox, treatment, etc.)
- Support in accessing Opioid Agonist Therapy (OAT) (e.g., methadone, suboxone, iOAT, etc.)
- Overdose prevention education
The Overdose Outreach Team does not provide long-term case management services. However, we will support clients in accessing the long term supports as need.
Within the context of a client and family-centred model and in accordance with established vision and values of the organization, the Overdose Outreach Team (OOT) Outreach Worker works as a member of an interdisciplinary team to provide support services to individuals and their families with accessing opioid agonist therapy and related support services. Monitors clients by methods such as observing client's health condition and environment. Arranges, plans, escorts and accompanies as necessary, designated/marginalized individuals on appointments, errands and other activities. Creates linkages to other community resources and programs. Assists clients in accessing benefits or assistance as appropriate and provides brief planning and coordination on issues related to substance use, opioid agonist therapy, overdose prevention and harm reduction. Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, administers medication to clients and provides medication reminders. Liaises and works with community resources and healthcare providers. Provides basic health-promoting information and promotes development of life-skills to clients. Performs a variety of general clerical duties, attends meetings and participates in patient care planning and coordination.
Education & Experience:
- Diploma in Community Social Services and one (1) year related experience working with People who use substances and those suffering from complex mental health issues and/or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC driver's license and vehicle.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Knowledge & Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work with marginalized and culturally diverse populations including those with substance use issues and mental illness.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with clients and families in order to explore issues that are beyond the initial presented concerns.
- A working knowledge and familiarity with health and social service programs specific to the North Shore and more generally speaking in the Lower Mainland.
- Working knowledge of harm reduction principles
- Crisis prevention/intervention and conflict resolution/de-escalation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment as well as capacity to work in partnership with other community agencies.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques and First-aid.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.