Job Title: Registered Nurse (RN) - Palliative Care ProgramWork Site: Lions Gate Hospital - North Vancouver, BCStatus: Casual Start Date: As soon as possibleSalary: $34.83 - $45.73 per hourHours: 0730-1930/1930-0730Reference#: 112460-nma
Practices in accordance with the standards of professional practice and code of ethics for registered nurses as outlined by the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) as well as within a Hospice Palliative care model and the vision and values of the organization. Provides assessment and nursing intervention by working independently and as a member of a interdisciplinary team to achieve quality end of life care for the patients/clients. Plans, delivers and evaluates the care needs of terminally ill patients/clients in a acute/hospice or place of discharge setting by means of assessing their needs and initiating referrals to other palliative care interdisciplinary team members or agencies where required. Assess patients/clients physiological, psychological, sociocultural and spiritual needs. Provides support to patients/clients/families and care givers who are facing complex physical, emotional and practical difficulties arising from advanced progressive life-limiting illness. Promotes the hospice philosophy to live life and make every moment count. Demonstrates continuous improvement and best practice approach in Hospice Palliative Care. Maintains and advances own clinical competence. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a recognized advanced program in Palliative Care nursing or two (2) years' recent, related experience.
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of clinical best practice in both Acute Palliative and Hospice settings.
- Broad knowledge of the Palliative Benefits Program.
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a patient/client/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNP's standards of practice for registered nurses.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans.
- Demonstrated ability to assess patient/client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, set priorities and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (orally and in writing) and deal effectively with patients/clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other health care staff, and staff of external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel and teach patients/clients and their families.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership through initiative and independence.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized patients/clients care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.