Reporting to the Manager, Health Services, the Activity Worker II carries out established resident activity programs in accordance with the mission, vision and values of Fraser Health.
- Carries out established resident activity programs such as arts and crafts, sports, woodworking, cooking, gardening and exercises. Sets up and organizes furnishings and equipment for activity projects, teaches the techniques of related activities to residents, oversees the residents' activities and reports problems and/or changes to the Recreation Therapist.
- Arranges outings by contacting appropriate groups such as theatres, sports organizations, colleges, schools, community clubs and recreational centres. Obtains tickets and ensures accessiblity of venues. Carries out resident activity programs outside the facility, ensuring that residents have appropriate clothing and necessary equiment. Coordinates the movements of residents during the activity and teaches the techniques of related activities.
- Provides direction to volunteers during activity programs and demonstrates related techniques as required.
- Transports residents by operating the wheelchair van. Conducts pre-trip check of van, loads and secures wheelchairs, drives the van, arranges for gas fill-ups and reports problems as appropriate. Arranges for additional community transportation for events and outings such as shopping trips or other requested places.
- Prepares and maintains bulletin boards, flip charts and other material advertising the activities available to residents.
- Purchases the necessary supplies for activities in consultation with the Recreation Therapist. Maintains inventory of equipment, tools and material. Reports problems to the Recreation Therapist or Plant Services.
- Informs contracted housekeeping of monthly set up requirements, monitors same and records problems using reporting system and/or speaks to the Recreation Therapist or Manager.
- Maintains work areas in clean condition and stores all equipment and supplies appropriately.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Grade 12, completion of recognized recreational courses plus two years' recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Successful completion of Food Safe Level 1.
Valid class IV driver's licence.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to teach.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.