Job Title: Medical Health OfficerWork Site: Community Health-Coastal Community of CareStatus: Regular Full TimeReference#: 125183-kch
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and ''going first'' when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Reporting to the Chief Medical Health Officer and Vice-President Public Health, the Medical Health Officer (North Shore) provides full Medical Health Officer duties within Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH).
He/She will have an Order in Council appointment under the Public Health Act with the accompanying legislative responsibilities. Maintains professional standards and enforces a variety of Acts and regulations such as the Public Health Act including Communicable Disease Regulations, the School Act, the Community Care and Assisted Living Act, the Drinking Water Protection Act, the Tobacco Control Act and the Food Safety Act.
The Medical Health Officer monitors and reports on the health status of the population and provides leadership in Population Health Promotion, Public Health Policy Development and the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of the public health programs designed to protect and enhance the health of the region's population. He/She works collaboratively with the Health Authority, other agencies and boards in the community (such as Municipal Councils, School Boards, Ministry for Children and Family Development, Ministry of the Environment, and other Ministries and community agencies) to assist in resolving health related problems. The Medical Health Officer provides medical leadership to VCH staff in areas including but not limited to Environmental Health Protection, Community Care Facilities Licensing, Maternal and Preschool Child Health, School Health, Adult Seniors Health, Non-Communicable Disease Prevention, Injury Prevention, Emergency Preparedness Planning, Communicable Disease Control, Quarantine, Travel Medicine, Mental Health, Harm Reduction, Homelessness, and Population Health Advocacy.
The Medical Health Officer provides clinical and/or administrative directions to support staff and health professionals, including physicians, Epidemiologists, Environmental Health Officers, Public Health Nurses and others working in public health programs
- Carries out legislated requirements of the Public Health Act, Community Care Facility Licensing and Assisted Living Act, Drinking Water Protection Act, School Act, and other health legislation and oversees the completion of relevant documents/reports required by local and national governing bodies to ensure standards are met and processes are followed. Responsible for communicable disease prevention and control in the community.
- Monitors and assesses the health status of the community(ies) for which he/she is responsible, both rural and urban; identifies and characterizes problems and issues regarding the health status of the community(ies) and provides leadership in planning, implementing, managing and evaluating programs established to address health issues; implements immediate actions when necessary to protect the health of the public.
- Reports on the health status of the population and maintains communications with VCH staff, the public, government and professional health organizations regarding public health matters.
- Advocates to improve or enhance the health of the community and provides leadership including developing intersectoral collaboration to address public health issues.
- Provides clinical direction and medical leadership to VCH public health staff.
- Develops and monitors implementation of public health policies for the region.
- Develops and implements Quality Improvement (QI) programs and initiatives consistent with the VCH vision, values and strategic directions and which comply with standards set by the Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation and the Ministry of Health. Ensures patient/client safety concerns are addressed in service delivery.
Education & Experience
- A Medical Degree (MD) with a full license to practice medicine in British Columbia plus a Fellowship in Public Health and Preventive Medicine; experience in progressively more complex and senior public health leadership roles in a large multi-site organization with responsibilities for the development, implementation and evaluation of operational and strategic plans is desirable but not required.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Utilizes superior epidemiological and data analysis skills to analyze, interpret and disseminate public health data to inform and evaluate public health programming
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of legislative policy development and processes of various levels of government to ensure well-informed decision-making.
- Uses strong leadership, strategic thinking, problem solving and innovative abilities to develop effective strategies and ensure support and attainment of goals.
- Applies superior judgment and political expertise as well as a strong understanding of the essence and subtleties of communication to relay sensitive information and effectively persuade and negotiate with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Responds effectively to the needs of the stakeholders while maintaining an acute awareness of the impact of actions.
- Uses sound business acumen to develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with internal and external stakeholders throughout high profile endeavours.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff - both current and prospective - have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.