Job Number: 52913
Group: Magna Mechatronics, Mirrors & Lighting
Division: Mechatronics Technical Center
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
The Mechatronics, Mirrors and Lighting group specializes in automotive technologies that are driving the future of mobility. Combining a deep systems knowledge to develop unique vehicle access experiences, intelligent visions systems and advanced automotive lighting technologies, MML's expertise light the path to innovation, safety and styling.
Ignite Your Transformation
For a big company, we're surprisingly entrepreneurial. Expect a collaborative and supportive atmosphere that will help you grow, both professionally and personally. We are committed to delivering success by offering our customers a truly diverse and global range of products. Step into an inclusive and dynamic team - Be part of the Magna family.
Closures Technical Centre, a division of Magna International Inc., is focused on the design, development and testing of Mechatronics products for the automotive industry.
We are looking for a Model Based Systems Engineer who will design, develop and improve new and existing electromechanical systems for automotive applications.
- 15 vacation days plus 32 paid floating hours annually (prorated in first year)
- Flexible healthcare benefits to cover you and your family, including Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Annual total compensation survey conducted to ensure fair pay and competitive wages
- Support for your career development and growth through training and tuition reimbursement
- Profit Sharing and Registered Retirement Savings Program (RRSP) with employer matching contributions
- Support for mental and physical health through employee assistance & wellness programs
- Employee vehicle discounts
- Social events throughout the year including employee service awards, children's Christmas parties, fundraising events, etc.
- Opportunity to work with a diverse and inclusive company
- Generally assigned to develop & improve new and existing automotive electromechanical systems.
- Illicit customer requirements, regulations and functional specifications and create system requirements for design of the assigned products/systems. Negotiate functional strategies with customer as required.
- Define, cascade and oversee execution of Statement of Work/ Statement of Requirements for system, sub-systems and system components.
- MBSE execution: Design functional strategies and system architectures for vehicle level mechatronic systems including definition of I/O's and interactions with complete documentation.
- MBE design: create models for system functions, create test cases for system functions, test/compare component plant models against system requirements
- Follow V model system design process. Works with interdisciplinary engineering teams to ensure compliance with Mechatronics System Development Process plus operational, cost, timing, safety, reliability, quality, and manufacturing feasibility parameters.
- Consults and collaborates with personnel in various engineering and design activities relative to product development requirements in order to create/support robust electro-mechanical systems control methods to eliminate campaign failure modes.
- Writes engineering content for the following deliverables: product specifications (STS, SSTS), component specifications (CTS), RASIC matrix, mechanization drawings and ICD, System Bill of Materials, System DFMEA, compliance matrix, system DVP&R's, 8D's, prototype control plans, key product characteristics, engineering changes and work orders.
- Support customer system level discussions and new system concept ideation.
- Support ISO 26262 / Aspice system work packages as required.
- Conduct virtual and physical testing of electromechanical systems from mockup/proof of concept to customer validation testing.
- Evaluate system performance correlation to virtual models and troubleshoot system functions when issues arise
- Review, approve, completes, and submits required change notices to ensure system meets design inputs.
- Apply fundamental understanding of mathematical models for mechatronic systems and software simulations to develop system black box and grey box definitions.
- Independently prioritizes the completion of tasks and resolution of issues to ensure compliance to Customer requirements and program deliverables. Contributes to the development of project timing.
- Conducts effective communications within the global project team (interdisciplinary communication) and with the customer, suppliers, manufacturing, and quality communities with minimal guidance.
- Works with senior engineering personnel to support and drive best practices in design specifications, manufacturing processes, customer requirements, and safety requirements.
- Understanding of executing internal change management, and adapting to customer change management systems, to ensure accuracy and proper protocol when processing engineering change requests.
- Understands and follows existing policies, procedures, work instructions and standards and makes recommendations for continuous improvements.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechatronics /Electrical/ Engineering Physics / Computer Engineering/Control Systems from an accredited University.
- 3-6 years of engineering experience demonstrating experience with system design/system engineering/system integration for safety critical components.
- Demonstrated experience in developing system functions and cascading requirements to system components.
- Must have demonstrated excellence in communication / presenting / influencing / salespersonship skills.
- Completion of ISO 26262 and ASPICE courses preferred.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of MBSE methodology. Demonstrated ability to model and design system within an MBSE SW package preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with Matlab, Simulink, Catia preferred.
- Possess detailed documentation practices.
- Working knowledge of vehicle level bus communication protocols (i.e. CAN, LIN)
- Working knowledge of electrical hardware (including wire harness), software and electrical circuit theory as it relates to embedded controls for electro-mechanical systems.
- Must have automotive production launch experience with an embedded SW product.
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
At Magna, we believe that a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That's why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.