The position will be located in Guelph, Ontario.
Composites Manufacturing Engineer
We are designing a next-generation hydrogen pressure vessel that will accelerate the clean transportation revolution by making it cheaper and easier for automakers to develop hydrogen-powered cars. This role will be responsible for developing and operating a composites manufacturing line for fabricating our tanks, both at the current prototype stage as well as at future production volumes. The engineer's goal will be to produce the highest quality composite at the highest possible speeds; this will require pushing the boundaries of the current state-of-the-art in composites manufacturing. Work will be done in collaboration with mechanical engineers on the tank design team, and lessons learned during manufacturing development will feed back into the design of the product.
About Linamar/McLaren Engineering
Linamar Corporation is a Canadian diversified global manufacturing company of highly engineered products across global industries and markets. From the entrepreneurial seeds planted by our dynamic founder, to the support provided along the way, all Linamar employees are poised for success in this fast-paced and rapidly growing environment. With access to the tools you need to succeed, you will make an impact along with other motivated and engaged employees.
McLaren Engineering, the engineered products division of Linamar Corporation, is a company focused on the design, development and testing of advanced automotive driveline and powertrain systems. Linamar Corporation recently acquired a conformable hydrogen pressure vessel technology and this technology is being developed by McLaren Engineering.
· Design of a braiding-based prototype manufacturing line from the ground up, including machine specification, facility layout, staffing needs, and procedures
· Design of add-ons and modifications to off-the-shelf manufacturing equipment
· Manage day-to-day operation of prototype manufacturing line, including providing detailed work instructions for production technicians
· Hands-on work on the manufacturing line to develop a deep understanding of the processes involved and their limitations
· Analysis of the operation of the manufacturing line at the prototype scale to determine improvements that are necessary for increased quality and throughput
· Design of experiments to determine optimal parameters for operating the manufacturing line
· Recommend product design changes to improve manufacturability
· Develop specifications for a production-level manufacturing line with 100x the throughput of the prototype line
· Comply with all applicable company policies and procedures (i.e. Quality System Procedures)
· This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
· Three (3) years of experience in the composite industry (including work in graduate school)
· B.S. in mechanical/civil/aerospace engineering; M.S. or Ph.D. in composites preferred
· Extensive experience with fabricating composites, both at the prototype scale as well as the production scale
· Highly proficient with mechanical design including 2D drawing, 3D CAD, GD&T, geometric and statistical stack-ups
· Experience with standard machine shop tools
· Comfort with hand calculations based on first-principles analysis
· Manufacturing development experience in some of the following areas:
o Automotive industry
o Filament winding
o Pressure vessels
o Composites testing
· Demonstrated ability to act as a technical leader on a small engineering team
· Enjoy a combination of computer-based, pen-and-paper, and hands-on work
· Thrive in a dynamic R&D environment and adapt smoothly to our evolving needs
· Contribute to our highly collaborative organization by working independently with limited oversight and proactively learning from and teaching members of our team
· Demonstrate excellent skills in documentation, organization, and communication
· Previous experience mentoring junior team members
Why Linamar/McLaren Engineering:
· The autonomy of a startup with the stability of a large company
· A diverse and inclusive work environment
· Opportunities for career advancement
· Tuition assistance
· Great benefits and competitive pay
Current Shift Days Employment Type Full Time Salary Percentage of Travel Required 1-10% Removal Date 04-Aug-2019