Job Description :
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Experience Analytics Centre of Expertise (CoE) provides Canadian Division management with confidence in the recommended experience analytics strategy. Experience Analytics is a customer-centric team performing a critical role within divisional finance as a key component of monitoring product risk. The role of the Experience Analytics team is to measure and monitor the expectance against the actual experience (reviewing assumptions such as mortality, lapse, morbidity, withdrawals, etc.). Additionally, when there are deviations, this group is responsible for studying the data to develop recommendations that would flow into pricing and valuation models.
Reporting to the AVP Experience Analytics, this role oversees the management of experience studies and monitoring plans and the development and implementation of advanced analytic models to improve experience studies insights. The incumbent will determine the resources required in support of multiple projects that contribute to the development, enhancement and monitoring of experience analytics, including advanced analytic models, in Insurance and Investment Markets. This role requires general business understanding, strong communication skills to ensure that insights are shared effectively and collaboration across the division to provide accurate, timely and relevant reporting for Senior Management. This role also requires strong mathematical/ analytical /technical skill in order to support a diverse set of experience studies and working knowledge of advanced analytic methods and algorithms, understanding their utility in different problem domains, evaluation methodologies and pitfalls, and continually looks for opportunities to innovate. The Director is responsible for inspiring staff engagement and development, with a focus on fostering a dynamic environment. The team is required to work closely with the business, risk management, internal and external auditors remaining focused on maximizing resources while finding efficiencies and effectiveness in processes.
Strategic Planning and Initiatives
- Develop and execute strategic experience study and monitoring plan ensuring a robust internal control environment exists for Canadian Division
- Oversee the development and implementation of advanced analytic models to improve experience studies insights. Ensures that modeling efforts is well balanced vs incremental improvement and seek out new methodologies, where necessary, that are better suited for the specific study and product. Experience fitting and tuning predictive analytics models (generalized linear models, logistic regression, decision trees, etc.)
- Coach & provide guidance to Data Scientists & Data Analysts in the team by leveraging theoretical and practical knowledge of advanced analytic methods and algorithms
- Effectively plan and execute work assignments, monitor progress, pipeline and implement changes. Document all experience studies including material results and prepare ongoing schedules for planned study dates, data availability, constraints and development of assumptions for all actuarial liability calculations.
- Review analysis of observable experience produced by reporting team to support planned studies
- Present findings, recommend assumptions and produce detailed management study reports using user friendly visualization, presentations
- Perform regular monitoring of assumptions and create detailed reports
- Build and maintain processes to ensure accurate information is reported and provided to the Finance business areas
- Identify opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Experience Analytics CoE processes, including emerging technology around Big Data (Data Lake, Cloud computing, ...)
- Build effective relationships and establish a high level of credibility with all levels of management across the functional areas within Canadian Division
- Influence the planned study dates in the experience study plan and assumptions used by the business
- Understand the services provided by the Experience Analytics CoE within the Service Level Agreement
- Work to assess talent of team members and seek growth opportunities for individuals.
- Provide feedback to staff through regular performance appraisals, informal feedback, and coaching
- Engage and inspire the team to make the best use of resources and ensure appropriate development and training opportunities are provided
- Actively motivate and contribute to build team members' capabilities by adjusting your leadership style to individuals and situations
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Math, Comp Sci, Engineering, actuarial science or other related discipline (post-grad preferred) with a minimum of 5 years' experience specifically in advanced analytic models or predictive modeling
- Proficient in R/SAS/Python
- Insurance/Financial Services Experience desired
- Demonstrated leadership talents in coaching and motivating staff to achieve objectives of high performing teams in complex environments, remote locations and actively motivates and contributes to building team member capabilities
- Inquisitive with strong analytical and problem solving skills, with strong technical skills to support automation
- Proven ability to use financial models to address business needs
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely with both technical and non-technical management, when presenting issues, options, and recommendations
- Able to work in collaboration with a number of functional areas
- Ability to quickly understand business, systems and project management processes and the risk implications, analyze complex situations, reach appropriate conclusions, and make value-added and practical recommendations
- Excellent organization and time management skills and the ability to manage expectations and competing priorities in a changing environment while demonstrating sound judgment
- Superior written, verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills; able to influence and negotiate with management at various levels of the organization. Build strong relationship with key stakeholders.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it's time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2016, we had approximately 35,000 employees, 70,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 22 million customers. At the end of 2016, we had $977 billion (US$728 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made almost $26 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.