Interested in a career that makes a meaningful difference in the lives of others? One where you are valued and respected, listened to, and empowered to live up to your potential? If so, Chartwell Retirement Residences is the place for you.
We are always looking for empathetic, positive and passionate individuals committed to Making People's Lives Better. With over 200 residences across Canada, we have an opportunity for you that will make a difference in your life.
The Cook in a Long Term Care Residence is responsible for ensuring that proper meals are prepared and served on time and that work areas are maintained in a safe and sanitary condition. In the absence of the Food and Nutrition Manager or Assistant Food and Nutrution Manager, the cook may direct Food Service Workers and assist in the purchasing and receiving of food and other supplies.
The responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Preparation and production of all meals and catering services as listed on weekly menu including therapeutic diets and menu alternatives;
- Assist with ordering food from approved vendors and completing inventory;
- Assist and participates in the menu planning, follows recipes and provides input on resident acceptability and feedback to the Food and Nutrition Manager for adjustment and revision;
- Responsible for collecting food samples from every meal, properly labeling and storing in the freezer for up to one week, responsible to ensure food samples past seven days are discarded;
- Responsible for presenting an appetizing and appealing meal for the residents with
- required garnishes;
- Ensures that the appropriate and correct temperature of the food is maintained and monitors risk, quality, quantity, appearance and portion sizes;
- Responsible for cleaning, maintenance and safety of all kitchen equipment such as stove, ovens, etc. based on daily and deep cleaning schedule.
The ideal candidates will possess:
- Certificate of Qualification in the trade of Cook or Institutional Cook from a recognized Apprenticeship program or College;
- Current Food Handlers Safety Awareness certification;
- Previous professional experience in quantity cooking in a health care setting an asset;
- Knowledge of sanitation, hygiene, food production, safety and therapeutic diets;
- Good interpersonal, communication and organizational ability in supervising staff;
- Reliable and able to work with others in a team atmosphere;
- Time management skills with ability to prioritize and multitask;
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Candidates must be available to work days, evenings and weekends.
To apply please email your CV/resume to [email protected]